Monday, November 19, 2007

Backup Conductor? Me?

For those of you who don't know this, I'm actually in one of the choir groups in my church. We have a few choirs, one for each mass timing.

Not too recently, there have been some news of the possibility of our current conductor (Roland) leaving us to take up his old role as conductor of another choir. But no one stepped up to learn from the current conductor to take up the role in the case of Roland leaving. Even if Roland do not leave us (and I do hope he'll stay), he'll need some backup conductors. In our current situation, he's so indispensible, I was saying that he can't even fall sick.

While there were small talks about who can be conductor if Roland leaves, there were no concrete meetings/discussions etc. Then Roland comes and ask me to conduct! What?!?! Me?!?! No musical background, no formal training, newbie to music. Ask me to conduct?!?! And Gladys second-ed him some more. Maybe I should have just shut my mouth and had that quick chat with him about having backup conductors.

Luckily, after I decided to send out an email to ask for people to step forward, another girl (Jo), joined the league of conducting. She actually has some musical background, since she was in a school band before. Maybe if Roland had approached her earlier, then I wouldn't have been asked, and I wouldn't be in this situation! Then again, maybe it was because of my talking to Roland that spurred Roland to ask her. I don't know which came first.

Well... Since there is Jo to help out too, with her musical background, maybe I can quietly push for her to do more and disappear quietly into the background. WAHAHA. (P.S. Jo, if you actually read this, please ignore the above sentence. Take it as you didn't see it. Haha).

Something else I just realised. Both Jo and I are born in the year of the pig. So are we the pigs to be sent to be slaughtered? Roland is not born in the year of the pig, or we'll end up having the choir being conducted by "The Three (Little) Pigs".

No comments: