Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hard disk went up in Flames. Don't buy Powerlogic

Unbelievable. It seems that the stupid power supply is the main culprit of my motherboard spoiling and even spoilt my hard disk. After my old power supply died, I got a new casing. With the new casing came this Powerlogic power supply. Within a week of using the power supply, my motherboard died yesterday.

Today, I went down to the service centre to change my motherboard, and the people there advised me to change my power supply, so I went down to Sim Lim to change it. The regular sales person who always attends to me at Bell Systems told me that Powerlogic is very sucky. And boy, is it sucky or what. After I installed the new power supply (that costed me $77), I smelled smoke coming from my computer. I quickly switched it off, and tested each component. When it came to my secondary hard disk, I actually saw orange flames coming out of the hard disk! The hard disk seemed to have short-circuited and caused the flames, which was likely to have happened yesterday together with the motherboard (which also short-circuited).

So, from now on, the minimum standard for power supplies I'll settle is probably Acbel. Cheap and decent standard. My new Acbel even has a 5 years warranty. Expensive, but it'll probably save money in the long run. And I condemn Powerlogic. In my 8 years of setting up computers, this is the first power supply that has such problems. Sigh... Well... I should be comforted that it's my secondary hard disk, so what I lost are my games and quite some misc stuff. Luckily my main hard disk with my school work etc is still OK. But it has only minimal space left, thanks to my photos. So I'll probably have to get a hard disk as well.

Stupid Powerlogic. Made me lose so much money.

No comments: