Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fireworks Festival

Some of you might remember that there was this Fireworks Festival not long after National Day at the Marina Bay area. Gladys and I went down to watch the Fireworks Festival on one of the days (18th Aug). It was supposed to start at 9pm, and we went down at 7pm to try to get some space. I thought that 7pm was quite early and we should be able to get some good space. I was wrong. By 7pm, it was very crowded already. We were quite lucky that a married couple made some space for us and we were able to a good space along the coast just outside Esplanade. We were right beside this big balloon that was used for NDP:


Right across the river, we could see a crowd around the Merlion. I guess that's actually the best place to be for viewing the fireworks. But I think if we want to get a good viewing space there, we would probably have to reach at 5pm?


There were a lot of people along the bridge as well.


The performance only started at about 9:15pm. A lot of us were anticipating the fireworks to start at 9pm. We could just feel the anticipation of the crowd. In fact, the firing of the fireworks did not start at 9:15pm. There were some performances first. When the fireworks started, the crowd just went "Wow... Wah... Wah... Wow..."

Here are just some of the many pictures of the fireworks















This is my personal favourite:


After the fireworks was over (about 20 mins), came the confusion and difficulty of leaving the place to go home. In fact, we decided to go to Carrefour first. We only went home at about 11+, so as to avoid the crowd. In the end, because we reached her place so late, I had to take a cab home since there were no more buses running.

We waited for 2+ hours with the crowd for just 20 mins of fireworks, and I had to take
a cab home. Was it worth it? Well... It was really a good experience. I guess if given a choice, I might have done it again. I was telling Gladys that next time when we have kids, we'll need to think of some way to entertain them while waiting, as we actually saw some families waiting since 7pm as well. The kids were impatient, of course. But I'm sure everyone enjoyed the show.

No comments: