Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Ubuntu ROX

Ubuntu totally rox!!! After dissatisfaction with Microsoft Window's performance (esp in low end computers), and not having access to Mac OS X (as a matter of fact, Mac OS X ALSO requires higher end computers than what I have), and now that it's after exams, I finally decided to try out Ubuntu again.

Yes, again, because I tried it about 2+ years ago, and still found it hard to use. With so many things to configure before I can get it working.

But now... I'm loving Ubuntu! Ubuntu has come a long way in terms of making Linux easy to use for normal users. I can just install and run my computer with ease. Ubuntu is even easier to install than Windows or Mac! They already have drivers for most hardware, and it's so small... Not like the bloated Windows.

Ubuntu comes installed with a lot of apps that the normal user would use, and downloading and installing apps is a breeze. For those people who are still using Windows citing that there are more programs for Windows, how wrong can they be. Linux has a lot of apps out there that can do what those Windows programs can, and best of all, they are free!

Also, Ubuntu is so customizable. Linux has always been customizable, but it wasn't easy to do so in the past. Now with the Gnome UI so improved, it's just so easy.

Best of all, it can run all those fanciful effects that Vista and Mac OS X boasts of, without the need for a high end system. I'm now using my bro's laptop which is about 3 or 4 years old now, running Centrino Pentium M 1.73Ghz, 768Mb of RAM (Yes, Mb, less than 1 Gb), Intel GMA900 (integrated graphics card! Definitely not capable of running Aero). I wouldn't dream of installing Vista or Mac OS X on it. They'll just kill the system. But hey! Look at these screenshots. I've got the dock, and Aero's nice App switching system:




Oh. I forgot to add screenshots for the Expose feature. And some other nice graphical effects.

Oh. I guess one drawback is the lack of those big name games like War of Warcraft etc on Linux. But well... I no longer play games, and some games apparently can be played using Wine.

Ubuntu is my new OS of choice. Once I'm back in Singapore, I'm gonna install Ubuntu on my desktop as well. Why did I wait for so long before switching to Ubuntu?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you're point is hardcore gamers should still stick with Windows, and I agree, but FYI to readers World of Warcraft *does* run under Ubuntu, using WINE. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft) Takes a little setup but once that's done it's great. Lots of other Windows games work too.