Saturday, January 05, 2008

1st Conducting @ Wedding Mass

Thanks be to God. The wedding mass that I was so worried about turned out still OK in the end. It was my first time conducting at a wedding mass as well. At first, I wasn't supposed to conduct, but in the end it was decided that it would be better to have a conductor.

Why was I so worried? First, we couldn't get enough people to sing (which was why I wasn't supposed to conduct, because we needed more people to sing). In the end, with the addition of some others from other choirs, we had about 10, so it was still OK.

Second, the keyboardist (Jayce) was only "recruited" at the last minute. Our original keyboardist pulled out, and we had to frantically search for a keyboardist last night. Jo and Marcus managed got some friend's sister, who is not even from our parish, to play. Luckily, she's quite a good keyboardist.

Thirdly, we had no practice until this morning! There was supposed to be a practice at 8pm last night, but only Peggy, Dwi and I turned up. Since the keyboardist was only "recruited" last night, obviously we didn't have a keyboardist yesterday either. Practice was supposed to start at 7:30am today, but at that time, only Peggy, Dwi, Jacye and I were there. We only started proper at 8am. So it was really frantic.

I wouldn't say that we did well, but at least we didn't screw up or what. And I didn't screw up the conducting. If we screwed up, it would be very sad. After all, it's the couple's once-in-a-lifetime ceremony.

Thank God for seeing us through.

No comments: