Thursday, January 31, 2008

Photo Updates on Koreans Visit - 1st Day

As promised, I'm gonna post some of the photos that I took when Myung Sun and her Korean AMSC friends came over to Singapore 2 weeks ago.

It was really an exciting time for Mervyn and me. We were really looking forward to seeing Myung Sun again. It's been 2 years since we last saw her in Canada. I must say that we were quite stumped over how to bring 14 people around. Luckily, they decided to break up into small groups in the end, so we just took a small group around. Anyway, after a hour's wait and straining our necks looking out for Myung Sun, we finally saw her at around 4pm. The funny thing was we watched her come out of the gate, but she did not notice us until we were right at her face. :) Of course, the first photo was of the 3 of us in the airport:

We took the train down to Bugis to go to their hostel in Little India:


After a long walk from the train station, we finally arrived at their hostel, The InnCrowd:

I must say that I was quite surprised at the prices of the backpackers' inn in Singapore. For just SGD20 a night, you can get a bed in an air-conditioned room, with free Internet and free breakfast! Considering how expensive it is to live in Singapore, it's quite cheap.

They didn't have meals on the plane ride from Thailand to Singapore since they took AirAsia, so they were really hungry by the time they settled down for dinner. I think it was about 8pm before we reached Outram Park temporary market. We separated into two tables, with two ladies joining me and Mervyn. Well... Of course, since they sat with us, we had to treat them to a good spread of local food, which included malay kangkong, Bedok chui kuey the famous claypot rice of that market, sugarcane juice and glass jelly which they did not have in Korea. I hope they enjoyed the meal:


The Koreans were really into the tropical fruits, having came from a temperate country. And furthermore, fruits are really expensive there. When Myung Sun told us that even an apple costs around USD3 to USD4 in Korea, Mervyn and I were really shocked and not surprised at how the Koreans were so fascinated with the fruits here. How lucky are we Singaporeans to be able to get nice fruits at such cheap prices!



We brought them down to the Chinatown area, and then walked all the way down to Clarke Quay. Two of the Koreans were daring enough to try the G-Max Swing:

Honestly, I got scared just looking at them taking the ride. I think the older I get, the more cowardly I get. And perhaps, it's not just me, but a lot of people as well.

Of course, since they're all medical students, how could I not show them The Clinic? For those of you who don't know what's The Clinic, it's a hospital-theme pub, where they have wheelchairs and hospital beds for seats. They even serve drinks in IV bags, but those drinks cost SGD50 per bag, so I never tried them.

Leaving them at Clarke Quay to enjoy themselves, Mervyn and I caught the last train back home.

Of course, those are not all the pictures I took. For all the pictures I took on the first day, follow this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/clldavid/2008_01_14AMSCKoreanStudentsVisitDay1

No comments: