Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Gladys' 21st Birthday

Today's the day Gladys turns 21! We had not one, but two celebrations for her 21st birthday. 1 was a BBQ party at ECP the day before, and then we had a family dinner at her place today.

We spent quite a lot of time preparing for the BBQ party. Luckily her dad was so nice to drive us down, or I think we would have died carrying the stuff. There was really too much things to carry. Just carrying the things from the car to the BBQ pit was tiring, and required 2 trips.

C16 is just located at a lousy place. Far from the toilets, and far from the carparks. My worst ordeal came when I carried a bucket of water and a 5kg pack of ice from 7-11 to the pit. I felt like I was back in the army doing route marches. Later in the evening at about 8pm, I still had to walk all the way out to the Bengawan Solo at Marine Parade Neighbourhood Police Post to collect the cake. I haven't done so much walking for a long time.

The turnout was actually quite good and we had quite a lot of fun. Even friends who were busy turned up. Chak Yuen came early and left early, even before we started BBQ-ing. Heng Hui cycled down from his place to ECP. Xinyi came with Zi Xiu just as the pit was ready for BBQ-ing. Ruyin came alone at first, but Aloysius popped up some time after and stayed for a short while. Xiaofen and Yuan Deng came down after his work. Deyuan and Skee came down for a while before going to another friend's party at St James Powerstation. Ruby came down with her boyfriend, Desmond, whom we met for the 1st time. Zhong Quan came down right after his KTV competition.

C16 was so far from Marina Cove that Xiaofen, Yuan Deng and Zhong Quan all lost their way trying to find the pit. Coincidentally, when Xiaofen and Yuan Deng got lost and called me, I was at Marina Cove on the way back from collecting the cake, so I just fetched them and brought them down. In the end, we decided that the walking back and fro, especially when we needed the toilet, was just too much and rented two bikes for overnight.

We found the Bengawan Solo cheese cake actually quite nice. I think it'll be one of our top choices for birthday cakes from now one. And it happened that there were 12 strawberries, and 12 people, so Gladys just cut the cake into 12 portions, each portion with 1 strawberry.



We only cleaned up at past midnight, and some of our friends stayed on till past 1am. After everyone left, the two of us still cycled around some more and talked and talked. Gladys wanted to watch the sunrise at 0530, but she happily fell asleep at slightly past 4. I couldn't really sleep, so after 0530, I woke up every 10 mins and peeked my head out to see if the sun is rising. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the sunrise as it started pouring at slightly past 6. It really came as a surprise as the sky was rather clear before that, with the stars still visible. But the rain just poured down very suddenly. We were lucky that we had this new 6-men tent that still withstood the rain. Only some water seeped through, which would have been less if not for the fact that I had trouble untying the cords for closing the flysheet. As I was untying the cords, I could see the couple in the small tent similar to the one we had run out of the tent with an umbrella running towards the shelter.

The rain only stopped at 8+, but we didn't leave immediately. After returning the bikes and breakfast, we were just too tired and slept till almost noon before I woke Gladys up and decided that if we don't pack up, we might run the risk of another drizzle coming. If not, Gladys would have loved to sleep longer.

After reaching my place, it was already quite late, but Gladys was just so tired that she still caught a nap. I had to wake her up to go to her place for dinner.

For dinner, Gladys' dad cooked really good food. There was even this duck stuffed with bittergourd. I really liked it. Once again, I was asked to finish up the food when everyone was full and there was still food left. And it wasn't just one or two people who asked me. 5 or 6 of them came one after another to tell me to finish up the food.

We had another cake. This time, a mango cake. As usual, Gladys stuffed a huge piece into my mouth. Her grandma actually commented on it, saying she shouldn't have done so.

After that, when Gladys started looking at the various presents, she couldn't find a number of the presents. We looked around and couldn't find them at all. I called my mom to see if she left them on the sofa, but my mom said there was nothing on the sofa. Gladys got so worried that she started throwing her temper and even cried.

However, as I expected, I found it after reaching home. I knew that my mom wouldn't have really looked all over for the presents. Well... They were hanging off a chair in the kitchen.

No comments: