Saturday, June 16, 2007

I Did It, a.k.a. WE'RE ENGAGED!!

Some of you would have heard by now. Our statuses have "changed". In any case, here's the full story:

For a long long time, Gladys has been eyeing this X-factor diamond on WhiteFlash.com. X-factor is basically a princess-cut diamond with the corners cut off. It's WhiteFlash's own special cut.

In mid to late May, someone started asking about that diamond as well on the pricescope forum (a forum on diamonds that Gladys frequents). So Gladys got all wrecked up and wanted to get the diamond ASAP. At first I told her I might not be able to afford it. At the very least, I'll probably have to wait till mid June when I get my internship pay. She was really desperate and actually emailed WhiteFlash asking them whether they can reserve the diamond for her until mid June, and without consulting me 1st.

Well... Lesley, who's the director of sales replied her and told her that they don't usually do so, but knowing that she's been eyeing this particular diamond for a very long time already (Lesley goes on pricescope as well), so they're willing to make this exception for her.

At first, I was really wondering if I had the cash for the diamond. But I realised that I did have quite some cash in the POEMS account (parked some cash there for government bonds. But now the yield on government bonds are so low, but that's another story). And so... I started thinking...

Well... Gladys always wanted a surprise proposal, with at least the diamond, and video-taping of the proposal. And obviously it won't be easy, since she know that the diamond is coming. So how to make it a surprise? So I had to make use of the fact that she's been the one corresponding with Lesley.

I went to contact WhiteFlash, asking them to help me. At first, I wanted to tell Gladys that I don't have the money to get the diamond, and then ask WhiteFlash to send the diamond to me, so that I can surprise Gladys with the diamond. But Lesley was saying that she'll help me by continuing to put the status as reserved instead of sold and wouldn't tell Gladys that I bought the diamond. If she put it as sold, Gladys would probably be very sad about it.

Oh. For those of you who are wondering how could I prove myself as Gladys' BF for WhiteFlash to sell the diamond to me instead of keeping for for her, I told them that I am Gladys' BF, that I know that she reserved the diamond, and about the special conditions. So unless I was really close to her, I wouldn't have known all these details.

After clearing up on the telegraphic transfer instructions, I finally managed to wire the funds over on 1st June (Fri). Because Texas is 14 hours behind Singapore, they got the funds on the very same day. As according to their policy, they sent out the diamond that very day. They also gave me the Fedex tracking number. It was quite interesting seeing the shipment process. They were really fast too. My mom signed for the package on Monday morning.

During those few days, I started dropping hints that I MIGHT just propose early. After I received the diamond, I even said that I was so excited about the thought of getting the diamond early. On Monday, I even said that I was looking at the cert again. I was really looking at the actual cert, but of course, she thought that I was looking at the cert posted online on the website. She even jokingly asked if I was thinking of proposing with the cert, as in the printed version by printing from the website, because I mentioned before that maybe I'll propose with a picture of the diamond before we get the diamond so that it'll be a surprise.

To see how frustrated she got over those few days, just go here: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=63254

Anyway, on Wed (6th June), we arranged to meet up with her friend for dinner to talk about some insurance stuff (her friend's working in Prudential), so I suggested we go Esplanade area for some photo-shooting with the new camera we just got on Friday (see earlier post). After dinner, her friend went with us for the photo-shooting.

After some photo-shooting, she asked me for the present I promised her the day before. She was in a bad mood on Tuesday, so I said I'll give her a present on Wednesday. She kept thinking that it would be a photo frame as she said she wanted one for the picture I gave her. She almost wanted to snatch my bag to dig out the present. Luckily, I stopped her. I even said that her friend must video me giving the present before I'll give the present to her. Again, luckily she didn't suspect a thing even though I made such a weird request.

So, first I took out a photo I printed from the website of the diamond, saying that as I said before, to make it a surprise, I would propose with the photo of the diamond first. Of course, Gladys started laughing and said no, thinking it was a silly trick. She herself mentioned before that she wouldn't accept a proposal without the diamond. Then, I said that I even have the certificate. Of course, she thought that I printed the certificate from the website and continued laughing.

Until I took out the AGS lab folder with the cert inside.

She saw the folder and the words on it, and got shocked, because the folder had the words AGS Laboratory embossed in it, so it cannot be something that I made. Even after seeing the cert and me asking her to marry me, all she could blabber was that I cheated her and that I got Lesley to trick me. I took out the diamond, got on my knee and asked her again. Then she could only nod and said a yes before blabbering on about me and Lesley tricking her again.

To see what she said about the proposal: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=63367

We got her friend to help us take a picture of us:


I'll post some pics of the diamond in a later post.

No comments: