Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Relationship: A Joining of 2 Social Circles

Looking at some relationships around me recently and our own, it seems that there are some people who seem to believe that a relationship is just between 2 people and do not make an effort to get others "involved".

But I feel that a relationship can hardly be seen as just between two people. It's a joining of 2 social circles. Like it or not, a relationship affects not just the 2 people involved in it, but also the people around them. Who can have a happy relationship without the "blending" of two lives, two families, two social circles?

But of course, sometimes it's not easy. Two lives suddenly becoming one. Yet no matter how hard it is, only when a couple works hard to make accept each other's social circle that the relationship can work. One of my uncle's mother is quite the terrible mother-in-law, and I often hear complaints from my aunt (actually, even my uncle complains), but my aunt still accepts her and respects her as a mother-in-law. Well... My aunt and uncle have a great relationship, happily married for almost 20 years now, with 3 kids.

I just think to make a relationship work, it's important to get involved in the other person's life. Family and friends are part of that life. I do see people who do not seem to want to make such efforts. They don't try to make efforts to make the friends and family of the other partner accept them. Some people don't even want to meet the other partner's friends and family. Sorry if I sound like I'm talking about you (whoever is reading this). It's just some ramblings in the middle of the night.

I'm quite glad that Gladys and I had this same thinking all the while, which is why we try to get involved in each other's social lives. I know her friends, she knows my friends. We join each other's family activities. In fact, we're very much part of each other's families (at least I hope so. Haha).

Some people might disagree with what I say. Some people still feel that a relationship is just between two people. I don't know. Do comment on this post with what you feel, and what you have seen/experienced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello david n gladys!

i totally agree with your post.
i truly believe it involves 2 life...esp if we are looking at long-term relationship.
Seems like you are writing about my situation (in a way) so i was thinking of introducing my bf into this blog. Maybe after he read, he'd have 2nd thoughts and join my outings with my many friends who cant wait to meet him! Or maybe he will get me more involved with his life too.
Thanks the two of U... nice sharing yesterday! :)

David said...

Well... Let's hope he's actually interested in looking at this post. Haha. We'll try to share as much as we can. It's helpful sometimes to have another couple to talk to about all these stuff and to seek advice from. We even have our own "model couples" to learn from.