Thursday, February 21, 2008

Suspected of having GERD

Today I went to see Dr Victor (a doctor in University Health and Wellness Center who attends mass at the same church as I do) about my cough again. He was commenting that he'll rather see me in church than to see me at the clinic. Anyway, after asking about my history, he suspects that the cough might be due to GERD.

GERD stands for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Basically, it has something to do with the gastric. Too much acid. He checked my tummy and told me that I'm having reflux. So it's very likely GERD. Well... Given that I had been having refluxes quite often recently, it should be the case. So time to improve my lifestyle. Less oily food, more veges, take meals more regularly, that means no eating dinner late, drink less coffee, eat smaller meals etc. He also gave me some medication.

I also mentioned that I had some pain in my ear, and after checking my ears, he sent me for syringing of my right ear. The nurse took this HUGE syringe, filled it up with water and pumped the water into my right ear. At the same time, I was holding a kidney dish below my ear to catch the water. The water washed my wax out into the kidney dish. There was slight discomfort, but still bearable. I did feel a bit giddy though. After the nurse was done, I could see quite a lot of brown wax washed into the kidney dish. According to Dr Victor, he has seen worse. Haha.

Seeing doc at UHWC is really cheap for students. Syringing, plus cough medicine, medicine for phlegm (non-standard drug) and medicine for GERD (non-standard drug) cost only $13.35. Actually, I was just paying for the non-standard drugs.

Hopefully my cough gets better. I've been feeling very tired from the cough and it's affecting my daily life.

No comments: