Monday, November 03, 2008

Finally on dual-core and Vista

I think I must be one of the last few people that I know who only migrated to a dual-core system recently. I have been surviving on a AMD Athlon 2800+ system with 1.5Gb of RAM, Radeon 9550 all the way until just last week!

But now I'm finally on a dual-core system. Had such a great buy last Saturday (25th Oct 2008). Went to Sim Lim with Gladys' dad because there was something wrong with his motherboard, so he decided to buy a new system. And I decided to buy a new system to upgrade too. Originally I had a budget of about S$500 to upgrade my system. Then I noticed a pricing error and made the best computer buy I've ever made. An ASUS M2N68-VM Motherboard with an AMD 64X2 5200+ CPU, 4Gb of Kingston DDR2 PC800 RAM, and a LG 22X SATA DVD writer for just $220!!! Super cheap! The ASUS motherboard comes with integrated NVIDIA graphics that is not bad and sufficient for my use.

Of course, Gladys' dad bought the same stuff, with another hard disk, power supply, and Windows Vista Home Premium. Since I already have a Vista license, and I replaced my power supply just last year or so, I didn't have to get those stuff.

Another 16 days and Gladys will be back! And also the start of my block leave! And the start of a few days holiday for the two of us!

No comments: