Thursday, May 22, 2008

3rd Day in Sydney - Steak cooking!

After lazing around in the morning (and catching up some sleep after a bad night of sleep), we went for more groceries shopping. This time, Charlene, Jasmine and Clara joined us in the first part of the shopping. Charlene and Jasmine are really as Gladys described. As crazy as we are! Haha.

We got more T-shirts from Jay Jays. This time, other than getting for Victor (Gladys' cousin), we oso got 1 for myself. After which, we actually managed to persuade Victor to give up one of his to me (we wanted to just get another one for me, but there was no XS left).

We went to get stuff for my cooking steak at night. Haha. Gladys wanted me to cook her a meal to celebrate her birthday, so I decided to cook steak. I actually experimented with a few different modified recipes in Singapore. We were deciding on which type of steak to get, when I noticed that T-bone is on offer. Usually it costs about $24 per kg, but then it was going for just $14 per kg! T-bone! That's like so expensive in Singapore. So we bought T-bone back.

I made two kinds of steak. One lemon steak, which is basically steak marinated with salt, black pepper and lemon juice:

And the other is red wine steak, which is steak marinated in a mixture of red wine, black pepper, soy sauce, garlic. RY and Erik did not really like the red wine steak, but Gladys and Clara both agreed that the red wine steak is much nicer than the lemon one. And of course, personally, the red wine steak is the one I'm most proud of and like the most:

I also prepared some stir-fry veges: carrots, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, with onions. Here are some of the preparation photos:





Yes... That's actually me cooking...



Mmmm... Red wine steak...

OK. Gladys cooked one dish. Canned soup. Haha.

The finished products!

The sauce in the small green bowl is actually self-made lemon sauce for the lemon steak by cooking the lemon juice with some honey to thicken it. Unfortunately, due to the T-bone getting cooked much faster than the lousy steak I used in Singapore, I overestimated the time needed to cook the steak and they turned out well-done instead of medium-rare. Never mind. Next time I shall do it right. Lousy steak in Singapore takes so damn long to cook and it's still quite red on the inside. Good steak here, cooks very fast.

No comments: