Friday, May 09, 2008

Funeral Mass

I attended a funeral mass on Thursday morning. One of our choir member's aunt passed away, and a few of us went to sing for the mass. A number of the hymns were new to us. One particular hymn really touched our hearts: Song Of Farewell. We sang it when the priest was sprinkling holy water on the coffin, just before the end of the mass. Lianne said she almost wanted to cry. I don't have an MP3 of the song. I only have the midi and so, can only attach the midi here. The lyrics are really beautiful.



Song Of Farewell:

Refrain:
May the choirs of angels come to greet you.
May they speed you to paradise.
May the Lord enfold you in his mercy.
May you find eternal life.

1.
The Lord is my light and my help; it is he who protects me from harm.
The Lord is the strength of my days; before whom should I tremble with fear?

2.
There is one thing I ask of the Lord; that he grant me my heart-felt desire.
To dwell in the courts of our God every day of my life in his presence.

3.
O Lord, hear my voice when I cry; have mercy on me and give answer.
Do not cast me away in your anger, for you are the God of my help.

4.
I am sure I shall see the Lord's goodness; I shall dwell in the land of the living.
Hope in God, stand firm and take heart, place all your trust in the Lord.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I've been looking for a copy of this song. It's really been a difficult search. It is beautiful, and it is haunting...

Good Job!

Anonymous said...

They play this at our family funerals and it always make me cry.

Such a beautiful hymn.

Andy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, was sung at my mums funeral x